[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Apr 15 14:58:33 EDT 2019

 It's been quite a while, but I have had luck laying the drive on a flat surface and tapping the bearing with light object like an ink pen. Get it spinning and then copy ASAP.
John Vaughters
    On Monday, April 15, 2019, 1:37:04 PM EDT, Brian via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

 On 4/13/19 6:12 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:

> I've always been leary of rocking a spinning disk. I don't like moving a
> working disk. I worry that the platters will gyroscopically tilt and
> crash into the head(s). I have no idea how much leeway you have to do
> this. You say gentle. If you say it's OK, I guess it is.

In general, I agree; moving a spinning disk seems risky (at least, ones
that aren't designed for it, e.g. laptop drives), certainly if the
motion is linear and not parallel to the drive's rotational plane.  That
said, I'm confident that gentle rocking (just enough to feel the
gyroscopic effect) isn't going to cause significant radial displacements
inside the drive.  The bearings, after all, are designed not to move in
those directions.  A white paper published by Western Digital [1]
explaining the decision to move from ball bearings to fluid dynamic
bearings mentions a "non-repeatable runout" (that is, random
side-to-side motion within the rotational plane) of 0.01 micro-inches
(0.00000001 inches); if linear movement is that tight, radial movement
will be similarly well-resisted.

Don't shake the thing like a maraca, but gentle rocking (it really
doesn't take much to feel the effect) if you can't hear the motor should
be harmless.  YMMV, IANAE, TANSTAAFL, etc.

-B

[1] -
https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/internal-drives/eol/endurastar-series/white-paper-endurastar-j4k100.pdf?_ga=2.87351000.1372394219.1555347520-849722421.1555347520
--
This message was sent to: John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>