[TriLUG] Load balancing DNS servers

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 3 13:15:38 EDT 2019

Have to agree on the non load-balanced DNS Server setup.  We are running a similar setup running dnsmasq on a primary and standby server.  To make sure the standby server gets correctly synced, you can use some of the following options:

inotify.  This tool (daemon) can watch a file or directory for changes and run a script when the event happens.  For example, use notify to watch the DHCP leases on dns-1 then rsync the directory to dns-2 (and restart dnsmasq on dns-2)

monit.  Similar to inotify, have the tool watch dhcp server files/directories then run an external rsync script once a change happens (ie: rsync the dnsmasq DHCP lease files)

“lsyncd”.  Again, similar to inotify.  Check out this thread:   https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/307046/real-time-file-synchronization

-Ron