[TriLUG] Strangeness in the Zip-world

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 3 14:41:59 EDT 2019

Folks,

I have just started running into an issue where my old, tried and true,
unzip in Debian 9 will not unzip ( new ) zip files that I am finding.

I don't think that they are Windows zip files, since they are hosted on,
and generated by, a Linux ( Debian ) machine with PHP 7.2.

When I try to use unzip on these files, I get:

Archive:  t1.zip
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of t1.zip or
        t1.zip.zip, and cannot find t1.zip.ZIP, period.

This is a stand-alone file, definitely not part of a multi-part archive,
with unzip running on a Debian 9 system.  I have had the same experience
with all files that I try.  I can successfully unzip other files that
were on my system already.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian