[TriLUG] Strangeness in the Zip-world

Dewey Hylton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 4 14:56:15 EDT 2019

For what it's worth, sometime in the not-too-distant past, one of my command-line
tools downloaded from a website that offered compression on the webserver side ...
In this particular case, the tool downloaded the compressed data but did NOT for
some reason decompress before writing to disk. That took me quite a bit of hunting
to figure out. So I second Brian's recommendation of using a second tool to retrieve
the file, just to rule out this specific bug in your current tool.

You may also work around the issue the same way I did once I found the issue, which
was to filter the file through the proper decompression program before handing off
to the unzip command. This of course only applies if your issue was the same as my
own ...