[TriLUG] OT: Maintaining public/private versions of a document

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jul 26 16:15:07 EDT 2019

Hi Gang,

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on good software to use for
maintaining a document in two forms, a "private" version that is
complete, and a "public" version that excludes certain portions of the
private version.  I'd love to be able to only modify the private
version, somehow mark which sections are private, and have the public
version stay in sync.  I'm not super-concerned with what format the
source is in, but publishing to annotated PDF (that is, PDF including
working intradocument links) would be a hard requirement.

Offhand I bet this is something LaTeX could handle, but I don't know
anything about actually using LaTeX, and would prefer a WYSIWYG editing
experience.

The particular use case is API documentation for a project I'm on.
There're parts of the API we don't intend to publish to others, but
would like to maintain documentation on the entire interface.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  FOSS is good but not a requirement.

Thanks!
-Brian