[TriLUG] OT: Maintaining public/private versions of a document

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 27 09:59:17 EDT 2019

On Sat, 2019-07-27 at 09:42 -0400, Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM Brian via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi Gang,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on good software to use for
> > maintaining a document in two forms, a "private" version that is
> > complete, and a "public" version that excludes certain portions of
> > the
> > private version.  I'd love to be able to only modify the private
> > version, somehow mark which sections are private, and have the
> > public
> > version stay in sync.  I'm not super-concerned with what format the
> > source is in, but publishing to annotated PDF (that is, PDF
> > including
> > working intradocument links) would be a hard requirement.
> >
> > Offhand I bet this is something LaTeX could handle, but I don't
> > know
> > anything about actually using LaTeX, and would prefer a WYSIWYG
> > editing
> > experience.
> >
> > The particular use case is API documentation for a project I'm on.
> > There're parts of the API we don't intend to publish to others, but
> > would like to maintain documentation on the entire interface.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Suggestions?  FOSS is good but not a requirement.

Are you maintaining this API documentation with docblock comments?
Doxygen supports private and internal flags, so that when generating
the final output, the EXTRACT_PRIVATE=NO will exclude those tagged
APIs.

This SO question answers it better:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4167705/how-can-i-create-a-file-which-documents-only-public-apis-in-doxygen

jf