[TriLUG] Storage server diy

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 2 16:43:42 EDT 2019

I've done this several times over the last few years, and I'd be happy to
help

Generally, depending on size, I think ZFS on Debian or *buntu is the best
thing going, with 2x or 3x fault tolerance.

10TiB drives are the best bang for the buck right now as far as $/GB is
concerned.  You definitely want to get the NAS variant of drives, like WD
Red or Hitachi/HGST NAS.

Regular drives aren't meant to run 24x7, and they fail at very high rates.

I'd look at something like the Norco enclosures for this as well:
https://www.newegg.com/norco-ds-12d/p/N82E16816133044
https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-3-5-Inch-Hot-Swap-Rackmount-RM212/dp/B00S0M4D8U/

These are the cheap ones, and you may want to replace with quieter fans,
check solder joints, etc. unless you have the budget for expensive cases.
Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."