[TriLUG] Refurb Lenovo Laptops (GradeA)

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 9 15:44:02 EDT 2019

On 8/9/19 3:00 PM, Richard Anderson via TriLUG wrote:

> Has anyone purchased a grade A refurbished Lenovo laptop from a local
> vendor? If so, where? I am interested in purchasing one that has an i5
> processor, backlight keyboard, in a 14 inch form factor.
>

> Richard

I've bought a number of laptops from Triangle Ecycling, (maybe a half
dozen Lenovo and one HP) for myself and others over the past few years
and have been 100% satisfied. And I'm sitting in front of two 20 inch
Dell and one 24 inch HP monitor from there that I use with my Linux
desktop. The three displays put together were just ridiculously
inexpensive  and have not skipped a beat since I put this system
together a year ago. I got my choice of a very clean (bloat free)
install of Windows 7 or 10 for each laptop and could of course layer
Linux on top by modifying the partitions, etc. They sell desktop
computers too, plus network switches and other accessories. (Need a X
volt Y amp laptop adaptor? The last time I was there I saw a box of them
multiple feet deep!)

And this is a 501C3 nonprofit. From their web site:

   "The primary mission of Triangle Ecycling is supporting STEM
education with hands-on tech training for high school students. We are a
triple bottom line business engaged in collecting, refurbishing and
recycling end-of-life computers and other electronics. We repurpose
computers for *good*."

I can vouch for the effectiveness of their program for enabling HS
students to get a jet-propelled launch into life working and furthering
their education. I employed one of their "graduates" between his first
two semesters at university and he was very hard working and
conscientious, skilled with Linux and a shaman with Windows.

https://triangleecycling.com/

Finally, many of their laptops appear to be from local businesses where
employees are being upgraded  sooner than they need to relative to the
actual wear and tear, so many of the laptops are in excellent condition
before the systematic secure hard drive erasure/refurb/testing process
starts. The guaranteed secure erasure is a free service for equipment
folks turn in for recycling by them.

-Pete