[TriLUG] OT: comms inside a corrugated metal building

Dewey Hylton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 15 10:36:56 EDT 2019

I've had really good results with the Ubiquiti equipment; I currently
employ older versions of what you find here:

    https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/

One of my sites uses this successfully through trees and in the rain.
It's used mostly for pushing backups via zfs snapshots, but even during
the snapshot transmissions, comms work well in both directions.

I have nothing but good things to say about this equipment - it just
works. Another thing to consider is that you will need essentially the
same equipment on both sides no matter you how connect it all - and the
Ubiquiti gear is cheap enough that even if you were unsatisfied with it
you wouldn't be throwing much money out the door.

As for the AT&T issue, I've deployed boosters at 3 sites using equipment
from https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com ... In 2 of the 3 cases, we have
great results. In the last case, coverage outside the building is so bad
that I believe there's not enough signal to actually boost ...

On topic: the Ubiquiti kit runs linux under the covers ... :)