[TriLUG] OT: comms inside a corrugated metal building

via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 15 12:21:33 EDT 2019

Is this about Wi-Fi, or about cell signal?

If you want phones and such to work inside the big metal box, I've had
great results with SureCall Fusion and with Cel-Fi Go X for AT&T. Both
use a roof-mountable external Yagi antenna you point at a nearby cell
tower and route signal over a leg of coax to the building interior,
through a signal amplifier, and then to a rebroadcast antenna. Both
worked excellently. I don't know how broad a coverage you can expect on
the interior, though; I used a panel antenna when testing both and only
needed to cover a few rooms in a residential house with it.

I saw WAN upload speeds go from under 0.5 Mbps to 15+ Mbps with both
kits.

If it's about Wi-Fi... well, building-interior Wi-Fi doesn't care what
the exterior walls look like, and if it's point-to-point Wi-Fi, I guess
tell us more about what you're looking to do? As other folks have
mentioned, there are plenty of directional Point-to-Point systems
available, including Ubiquiti's.