[TriLUG] Debian 10 (Buster) on Brand-New OptiPlex 3070 Installer is Glacial

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 23 17:10:58 EDT 2019

Friends,

We just got a brand new Dell OptiPlex 3070 to serve as a host for some VirtualBox VMs.  It's to replace an almost-10-year-old machine.  I downloaded the netinst image, applied it to a USB stick, and everything about the process on the new hardware is slower than chasing molasses uphill.  From the grub prompt, if I choose the graphical installation option, it's minutes before the GUI appears.  Then minutes again while it detects hardware to find the installation media.  Then more minutes to detect network hardware.  It boggles my mind that this could be so slow.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Is there anyone out there thinking, "oh gosh yes, if you don't do this and this and this, the installer runs at a snail's pace!"

For the time being, I'm just suffering through it, fearing that I'll wait an hour for each thing to finish, only to find out, say, it doesn't see the NVME storage medium or something.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Brian