[TriLUG] Question -- need opinions for market research

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Sep 3 16:28:46 EDT 2019

I know that you all have plenty of opinions and I need to take advantage
of that for a bit of market research.

I have just finished the last chapter of a three volume Linux self study
course that I am writing for Apress. http://www.both.org/?page_id=1183
Please read my web page - it describes all three volumes. You can also
see Vol 1 on Amazon, here
https://smile.amazon.com/Using-Administering-Linux-SysAdmin-Getting/dp/1484250486?pf_rd_p=0d52b7cc-5f0d-4b5a-a1f9-a556ab57167e&pd_rd_wg=UvEaP&pf_rd_r=WEYGFRJXR143HDT3YEBC&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=1aeoZ&pd_rd_r=9dd2e30a-4283-4206-a86e-da111c11c502

I state in the Introduction, "Each of these three volumes is closely
connected and they build upon each other. It is not possible to start
with Volume 2 or Volume 3 because they both depend upon a virtual
environment – a virtual network and a virtual machine – that are created
in Volume 1 and that is modified by many of the experiments in all three
volumes." Similar statements are elsewhere in each book.

My questions are,

1. Would you purchase a 3-volume set or would you be put off by the fact
you had to purchases three volumes at around $40.00 US each in order to
get a complete course?

2. If you would not purchase the first volume, would you purchase later
volumes and expect to figure out for yourself anything needed to proceed?

3. If the answer to #2 is no, would you purchase volume 2 or 3 if some
setup specifications were provided?

4. Would you recommend such a 3 volume self study course to beginners -
assuming that it was actually a good course?

Thanks for your highnly opinionated answers. ;-)

David P. Both
The value of any software lies in its usefulness
not in its price.

— Linus Torvalds