[TriLUG] Don't shoot!

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Sep 11 01:05:46 EDT 2019

On 9/10/19 12:30 PM, Newcomb, Doug via TriLUG wrote:

> You can feed the feed from the GPS to track yourself on a laptop using
> QGIS  with OpenStreetMap Data as a basemap,  or you can set something more
> automated up with a combination of gdal, postgis, and mapserver to get a
> constantly updated local website with your position in context.

This is my ultimate goal to have all collected data appear as web pages
that I can easily view, with FireFox. And, for that I am installing a
bank of Lithium 100amp batteries, plus solar panels, so I can have
plenty of current to run my toys. Sidescan is high on my toy list.

> If you have an inexpensive depth gauge you can use pyhum ,
> http://dbuscombe-usgs.github.io/PyHum/  , to map the bottom texture  as you
> go to add to the pool of scientific knowledge.

It has a depth finder, but I assume it is pretty primitive. I bought the
boat over a month ago and had a pilot move it from Annapolis to
Chesapeake VA, where she is currently at dock. I'll outfit her there,
which will be a bunch of re-wiring, including a 5000 watt inverter,
100amp alternator and a new charge module for lithium batteries. What is
great is that there are several people on youtube with the same boat and
videos on every improvement howto's I need. I want all electronics using
Linux to collect and display data. That will be the fun part. I plan on
bugging everyone for ideas. And yes, I bought an ice maker! Yoho! Ric