[TriLUG] R-language problem - maybe code

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 26 15:25:05 EDT 2019

Hypotheses:

1. I am pushing the machine beyond its memory and cpu limits
Answer: Check the resources in windows. R is a single threaded program, probably not using more than one core. There are libraries that can help solve that.
2. My code is syntactically wrong. But show diagnostics only says a
    bunch of symbols are not in scope, including  the three name variables.

    names(v_a_05) [1] "rand" "county_id" "county_desc" "voter_reg_num"
    "status" [6] "last_name" "first_name" "middle_name" "res_city_desc"
    "party" [11] "race" "gender" "yob" "nc.sen.dist" "nc.rep.dist" [16]
    "vtd_abbrv"

Answer: Reduce your data to a small size to check for syntax. Really small, few records
3. other possibilities ?
answer: I have run on R that ran 12+ hours R is a slow program for the most part. Mainly due to single threading. But there are techniques to help with that, Investigate performance solutions for R.