[TriLUG] encrypted e-mail on pilot: can't get ez-pine-gpg working

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Oct 9 17:30:06 EDT 2019

I'd like to have encrypted e-mail on pilot. I'd prefer to stay with my
current e-mail client, (al)pine. If that doesn't work, I'd still like to stay
with a cli/ascii e-mail client.

I've generated my gpg keys and have uploaded them to keyservers, getting
the correct response from

gpg --search-keys jmack at trilug.org
gpg --search-keys 0x0D0B7B41
gpg --search-keys trilug

It seems you can use encryption with pine by installing scripts from

http://business-php.com/opensource/ez-pine-gpg/

and then modifying the .pinerc file

however the combined pine/ez-pine-gpg fails

o when sending in pine I only see options to sign or encrypt, but no option to
sign-and-encrypt

o If I just send with encrypt I get the error
"Unable to find certificate for <jmack at trilug.org>"

o If I just sign, the e-mail goes out unsigned without calling any gpg functions
(like asking for the passphrase).

I notice the docs for installing ez-pine-gpg are for v0.3d rather than 0.4h
which is the version you download.

Anyone using pine to encrypt e-mail on pilot? (encrypting with anything on
pilot)

Thanks Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml