[TriLUG] You Probably Don't Need a Full-time DBA...

Alan Sterger via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Oct 30 12:11:33 EDT 2019

   While a good database administrator (DBA) can put out "fires", he/she
   can be expensive when you consider full time employment overhead.
   However, going without periodic DBA assessments can be equally as
   expensive when the database slows down, freezes or halts.
   Consider:
   A database ignored or on "autopilot" can suddenly consume all available
   storage due to execution of a malformed Cartesian query...
   Was your database tuned or just installed?  Database vendors create
   general purpose databases, not a database tuned to your environment and
   certainly not your application...
   After data loads, a database can slow down.  Has management or your
   customers noticed the slow down?
   As it happens, one of my clients just announced closure of the company,
   giving me additional 'bandwidth' to seek another engagement.
   If you, your company are interested in a part time consulting or
   contractual database administrator, see my LinkedIn profile
   [1]https://www.linkedin.com/in/alansterger/ for summary information or
   email me for a more detailed resume.  I am adjacent to RTP,
   specializing in Oracle RDBMS for more than 20 years.  Along the way,
   have also been involved in data migration projects and a number of Data
   Center relocations.  In addition to Oracle have also managed/utilized
   Sybase ASE, Teradata, IBM DB2 LUW, MS SQL Server and MySQL databases.
   Have also converted data to/from Oracle.
   All the best,
   -- Alan Sterger
   [2]asterger at earthlink.net