[TriLUG] Pilot Upgrade Sunday evening

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Nov 20 16:28:20 EST 2019

I didn't know the answer to either of Brian's questions off hand, but I had
fun grubbing around in my email history to try to see what I could recall.

When I was the sysadmin in roughly 2004-2005, I inherited two servers, Moya
and Dargo.  It's my understanding they were built mostly by Tanner Lovelace
(the previous SysAdmin), with some help from Jeremy Portzer (and maybe
Jason Tower)?  I learned LDAP and Kerberos by fire while maintaining these
machines.  During my tenure, we upgraded Moya to new hardware and applied
an OS update by setting up a second server, named Talon, migrating all the
services to it, then renaming the new server to Moya.  We repeated the
process with Dargo.

It seems that in roughly April of 2007, a combination of Cristobal Palmer,
Kevin Otte, and the ever-present Tanner replaced Dargo with a new server,
named Pilot.  It took quite a lot of wrangling at SunGuard (the colo
provider where they lived at the time).  :)  I think that is when the name
Pilot came into existence, but it seems to have been a physical server,
rather than a VM, in its initial incarnation.

As late as 2009, it seems to have still been physical hardware, based on
the occasional reboot notifications to the sys@ list.  (That's roughly when
I stopped getting mail to that list.)

Some Googling around of the main archives uncovers that Pilot moved into a
VM in 2015, apparently under the direction of Bill Farrow:
https://trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20150427/073817.html

To the best of my knowledge, these names are all Farscape references, but
that's the extent of my knowledge about Farscape.

Your local archive archeologist,
Aaron S. Joyner