[TriLUG] Linux tools for partition/file retrieval

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Dec 28 06:34:05 EST 2019

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019, Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote:

> Note that Joe Mack recommends adding -n (noscrape) to the preceding
> ddrescue command. I don't know the ramifications of doing so.

It skips over bad blocks. If you have dying hardware, you want to recover as
many blocks as you can while the hardware is still working. After the first
pass, and if the hardware is still working, you do a 2nd pass where you retry
the failed blocks many times.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml