[TriLUG] Open source zoom-like thingie

Andy Random via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 23 13:44:51 EDT 2020

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, William Sutton via TriLUG wrote:

> there was some discussion about this recently on the NoVALUG list, and the
> observation was that jitsi was unusable beyond a couple of people.

I've used Jitsi for a 10+ person call with no issues, I accept there
probably is an upper limit which is lower than Zoom, but it's definitely
not a couple of people in my experience.

A possible caveat being that all participants need to be using a Chromium
based browser as even one person with Firefox on a call can apparently
cause issues for everyone on the call.

As for Zoom, I'm not a fan due to their privacy and security track record,
but I have had to accept that in these times attending Zoom meetings
is a necessary evil.

However I still refuse to install any Zoom applications and have been
using a Chromium based browser for Zoom meeting as well with no issues,
though only as a participant. I'm still refusing to host anything on Zoom.

Personally (outside of close family) I feel the need for video calls is
overrated and my preferred platform is currently Discord. Which provides
multiple voice channels, screen sharing, and text chat all in one
platform.

   Andy