[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Apr 29 13:12:09 EDT 2020

I agree with Mauricio's assessment.  I know it's a matter of opinion and "religion," but I can't help but think some people have really interesting ideas of the e-words: efficient, elegant, and easy.

systemd vs sysv-init: services need their own .service files scattered about or services need their own startup/shutdown scripts scattered about.  Each has advantages and disadvantages, and it sucks having to mess about with either of them when stuff isn't working.

I also don't find myself sharing the author's opinon that reading two files (which are read once and cached in practice, I think) is somehow horrible and inefficient compared to a complicated (opinion word) series of encryption and JSON parsing.

Obviously it's all opinion, but mine is that homed sounds like a solution that doesn't have a problem.  But then, I felt the same way about systemd.

And get off my lawn!

-B