[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 1 03:40:46 EDT 2020

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 17:12:09 +0000
Brian Henning via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> systemd vs sysv-init:

The preceding false choice is how the 1.2 million Line Of Code
massively entangled monolith called systemd gained traction in the first
place. I'm not picking on you, Brian, 70% of all Linux users approach
it as sysvinit vs systemd, and until that stops being the case, Redhat,
FreeDesktop and Poettering will continue de-POSIXing your computer.

Superior choices to systemd include:

* runit
* s6
* Epoch
* sysvinit PID1 plus daemontools-encore
	- or plus runit process supervisor
	- or plus s6 process supervisor
* OpenRC
* Busybox init (probably plus runit, s6 or daemontools-encore)

From personal experience I can tell you the first four are much better
than either a traditional sysvinit system or a systemd system.

Any of you who see the value of POSIX and don't want the day to come
when grep and sed require systemd, please let people know there are
plenty of great init systems that don't begin with "s".

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb