[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 1 15:34:36 EDT 2020

If somebody held a gun on me and said "rebuild your kernel like you did every week or three in '93" I might just take the bullet (assuming of course that searching the web wasn't a choice). Unlike many of you, Linux is my Windows now. I don't know how the guts work any more and don't have time to learn (need to inhale the details of a few RTOS flavors instead). So I can appreciate the pain of systemd while having been oblivious to just how much it violates one of the Unix big rules by being monolithic. What a shame. But I'm just an appliance operator now, so the pain is abstract. Pete
-------- Original message --------From: Matt Flyer via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> Date: 5/1/20  2:59 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: trilug at trilug.org Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo
  major change On 5/1/20 3:40 AM, Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote:> On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 17:12:09 +0000> Brian Henning via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:>>> systemd vs sysv-init:> The preceding false choice is how the 1.2 million Line Of Code> massively entangled monolith called systemd gained traction in the first> place.Bingo.  I am really not a big fan of systemd and tend to agree with the assessment that it is over bloated, full of tentacles that worm their way into everything, and doesn't simplify a thing; or so says the guy writing this message on a machine running Gentoo using OpenRC as he deliberately chose to avoid systemd.At work I have a Centos7 server and I am really not a fan of the systemd management.  Seeing as Python2_7 end of life, it has been leaving me wondering about the future of that machine and whether a nuke and boot is in it's destiny and what will replace it.-- This message was sent to: Pete Soper <pete at soper.us>To unsubscribe, send a blank message to trilug-leave at trilug.org from that address.TriLUG mailing list : https://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/trilugUnsubscribe or edit options on the web	: https://www.trilug.org/mailman/options/trilug/pete%40soper.usWelcome to TriLUG: https://trilug.org/welcome