[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Bill Farrow via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 4 13:00:15 EDT 2020

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 11:51 AM Wes Garrison via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> simple things like discrete log files for services with one monolithic log

Wes, see if you can install rsyslog or syslog-ng.

The product I work on uses the std syslog() and logger calls to send
logs to journald. They go into a fixed size binary ring buffer in
memory, which is great for an embedded device where disk writes need
to be minimized and memory needs to be conserved. The rsyslog daemon
reads and filters log message from journald and writes them to
individual log files in /var/log/. Our customers routinely use tail -f
/var/log/syslog.

Bill