[TriLUG] remembering Seth Vidal

Cristóbal Palmer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 7 13:57:32 EDT 2020

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/seth-vidal-obituary?pid=165785145

We're just shy of seven years since we lost Seth Vidal. Many of you
may have interacted with him. Many not. If you knew his name at all,
it was probably because of his work with/on yum. I only had one
meaningful in-person interaction with him, and it was when he came to
a datacenter at UNC-CH to lay hands on a fedora infrastructure server
that we (ibiblio) were hosting. He was excited to show me how he had
fedora on one thumb drive and his ~ on a second one, and he could
stick the two thumb drives in any of various then-current ThinkPad
models and it would "just work" after he entered the passphrase to
unlock the ~ drive.

He was very warm and eager to share the joy of what was new in fedora that day.

In late June of 2013 a combination of new tools in use by fedora folks
and/or an updated/changed IDS/IPS at UNC-CH started throwing a wrench
in the fedora folks' ability to manage what we hosted for them, and I
acted as liaison between fedora folks, including Seth, and UNC-CH
folks. Again, Seth was friendly and warm. It came as quite a shock
when I found out he'd been killed by a hit-and-run just two weeks
later.

I sincerely hope that I can bring even a small fraction of the joy of
F/LOSS (and bikes! and so much else!) to the people around me that it
was very clear he brought to the many, many people who attended his
funeral.

Warmly,
--
Cristóbal Palmer