[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 7 14:10:52 EDT 2020

On Thu, 7 May 2020 03:13:48 -0400
Steve Litt via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> * I'm pretty sure the systemd crowd took over and changed logind to
> the point where it would need to be called quite differently to run
> with a normal init.

Although correct in spirit, the preceding assertion got details wrong.
systemd-logind or whatever it's currently called replaced *consolekit*,
whose maintainer FreeDesktop.Org deprecated as soon as they had
systemd-logind working:

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/

As far as whether FreeDesktop.Org left standing a systemd-independent
version of consolekit, I can't figure out. The following might be such:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/ConsoleKit/tree/

Even if that source is still pre-systemd and free to fork, the fact
that systemd development is paid for by Redhat and others, while the
forkers must fork after a hard day's work, skews the software universe
and contradicts any "the better software won" claims.

> * The systemd crowd took over udev such that all calls must be vastly
>   changed to run with a normal init system. As a matter of fact,
> Gentoo created eudev and Devuan created vdev just to back out the "my
> way or the highway" udev booby traps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udev#History

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev

https://git.devuan.org/unsystemd/vdev/blob/master/README.md , search
the term "Project Non-Goals"

[snip Poettering lobbying Gnome: Haven't yet found cite]

> * On the initramfs front, as I remember Redhat took over the Dracut
>   initramfs creator project, emptied the git repository, and started
>   fresh with a version with thick interfaces to systemd. If you want
>   the original, I guess you go to Internet Archive and somehow find
> the old git.

Right scenario, wrong initramfs maker. Not Dracut, it was Gummiboot
that the systemd folks burned to the ground:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gummiboot-Is-Dead

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist