[TriLUG] B320i RAID controller driver

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 22 11:48:56 EDT 2020

On Fri, 22 May 2020, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:

> It is looking like my only viable path forward is to disable the hardware RAID
> controller and let the OS have the disks directly.

Not letting any proprietary hardware handle your disks is preferred way in
Linux. From all the reading I did, everyone just says to let the kernel handle
your disks (RAID in software).

> I suppose I could use MDADM to create a software array, but this isn't without
> it's own issues and additional maintenance.

yes, but if your machine crashes, you can recover the disks on another machine.

> Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

how about zfs? I'm using it. It's more complicated (or maybe just less familiar)
than running single disks and it will be more complicated than just letting your
raid controller handle everything.

I looked into mdadm and I thought that if I was going to learn a whole new way
of doing things, I may as well go the whole hog and do zfs.

> Perhaps I can put a different raid controller in there that is supported?

as long as when your hardware goes belly up, you can bring up your disks on
another machine with exactly the same raid controller.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml