[TriLUG] B320i RAID controller driver

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 22 12:45:18 EDT 2020

I agree with Joseph. I'm no expert, but I think Linux software RAID is the
way to go.

My "new" server (which I assembled last year) has three 2TB drives (mixed
brands), in doubly-mirrored RAID 1 setup, using the motherboard's SATA
controller, running Centos 7, on a surplus computer (which used to be a
Win7 machine).

Because there's no special RAID controller, if I need to move the drives to
a different machine, that's no problem.

Because it's software RAID, there's no problem mixing brands & models of
drives.

Because I mixed brands / models of drives, the chance of multiple drives
failing at the same time is very tiny. That's an underappreciated advantage
of software RAID over hardware RAID. Hardware RAID setups typically require
identical drives, which are subjected to near-identical usage patterns,
which often causes them to fail on the same day, accompanied by the sound
of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Because I'm running mirrored drives, I felt safe using used drives, and
those 2 TB SATA drives only cost me $20 to $25 each on eBay. (YMMV -- they
seem to be slightly higher than that, today
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dcat=56083&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fsrp=1&Interface=SATA%2520I%7CSATA%2520II%7CSATA%2520III&Storage%2520Capacity=2TB&_nkw=-board&_sacat=56083&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000%7C1500%7C2000%7C2500%7C3000>.)
So my system cost a pittance.

Like you, I don't need so much storage, but having lots of extra storage
gives me the freedom to build new servers in KVM virtual machines, back
up virtual machines before changing things, etc. I'm not been doing
that, yet, but when I someday go to Centos 8, it will be with greatly
reduced risk of "putting the system in a messed up state."

A nice fringe benefit of running mirrored drives in a software RAID array
is a *big* performance boost. Linux is smart enough to spread reads across
all your mirrored drives. It simultaneously reads from all drives, so the
more mirrored drives you have, the faster it goes. I haven't benchmarked
varying numbers of drives on my current server, but having two drives
reduced the boot time by slightly *more* than 50% on an earlier machine
(which was using slow 2.5" HDDs).

BTW, you said you have four 300 GB drives in a RAID 1+0 array, giving you
300 GB of usable storage. But RAID 1+0 should only cost you 50% of the
total space, not 75%, so my guess is that if you look at the drives you'll
find that they're only 150 GB each.

Dave