[TriLUG] RAID notion applied to networking

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat May 23 16:46:12 EDT 2020

Hi Alan,

OK. I think our plan A will be to use DSL, B will be one of us to switch
to a hotspot and the other keep off and C will be to use the two
hotspots, because we have the same carrier and the booster is pointed to
a single tower (hmmmmm, maybe D: remotely swing the booster antenna
between the two towers in our area if that might give us two good
connections). If we're contending for a single tower (antenna?) I might
still mess up her work or visa versa. We notice when the whole
neighborhood DSL goes down the cell performance goes out the window
depending on the time of day (here recently more people are Zooming or
whatever during day time than night). So there may be cases when we
alternate between DSL and MyFi to avoid contention with the neighbors
swamping the DSL.

But this thread was really to wonder if some sort of IP multiplexer
exists out there and might be accessible via OSS. I guess for the
majority of cases it just isn't an issue, especially for those of you
with fiber who have hopefully stopped having to think about bandwidth
issues.

Thanks to you and Mauricio (he privately mentioned LACP that does clever
stuff, but not with a single TCP stream).

-Pete