[TriLUG] RAID notion applied to networking

Dwain Sims via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 24 13:15:34 EDT 2020

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, 1995 or so, I was the recipient of a
super cool piece of technology called an ISDN Modem.  This was in the Bay
Area of CA and PacBell was the service provider. That device did pretty
much what you are describing.  Only it worked in reverse.  That device had
combined two streams into your internet connection most of the time, but
you also had the option of connecting a telephone into the device and using
one of the streams for voice when you needed it.  Altogether it was not
fast by today's standards, but at the time it was super fast (especially
for the internet content of the time.)  So you got both streams most of the
time, unless you need to make a phone call, and your bandwidth dropped by
half.  (I used that thing from 1995 until 2000 when we moved to NC)   It
allowed me to work from home a fair amount.

I know this does not help Pete much but it sure brought back memories.

Dwain