[TriLUG] Trilug: RAID notion applied to networking

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 24 14:32:16 EDT 2020

Spliced from the TriLUG archives

Pete Sopher ecrit

> Would it be possible (for a moderately capable/experienced person) to
> combine two MyFi sources with DSL and create a more reliable, possibly
> higher performance link to a single end point such as a
> Hangouts/Jitsi/Zoom/MS Teams or something like that?

I've been trying to convince myself mathematically that this is impossible,
because TCP requires a fixed IP::IP:port triplet (I know triplet isn't the right
word, but it's close). Even if you have a spider web of possible routes between
the end points, the packets are going to traverse a fixed path. However I
haven't convinced myself it's impossible, so maybe it's possible.

I remembered bridging. (Don't get too excited. It doesn't quite get you there.)

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/bridge

This is ethernet (Layer 2), not IP. You can join
multiple lots of ethernet together and something (the kernel?)
decides which set of wires the frames are sent down.

Here from the HOWTO

--

Sample setup

The basic setup of a bridge is done like:

  # ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
  # ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
  # brctl addbr mybridge
  # brctl addif mybridge eth0
  # brctl addif mybridge eth1
  # ifconfig mybridge up

This will set the host up as a pure bridge, it will not have an IP address for
itself, so it can not be remotely accessed (or hacked) via TCP/IP.

Optionally you can configure the virtual interface mybridge to take part in your
network. It behaves like one interface (like a normal network card). Exactly
that way you configure it, replacing the previous command with something like:

  # ifconfig mybridge 192.168.100.5 netmask 255.255.255.0

--

you now have an IP connection from 192.168.100.5 running over two layer 2
cables.

At the other end you need another two cable layer 2 setup.

However you don't have that. You have a MiFi running IP, not layer 2.
You would need someway of sending layer 2 packets over IP. I don't know how to
do that.

This is awfully complicated.

How much does satellite internet cost?

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml