[TriLUG] RAID notion applied to networking

Stephen P. Schaefer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 25 01:39:25 EDT 2020

On 5/24/20 8:40 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
>
>> OK but mptun seems to handle the layer 2 problem by sending
>> the frames in UDP packets.
>>
>> https://github.com/cloudwu/mptun
>
> you'll need 2 NICs on the VPS too
>
> Joe

Ssh can do layer 2 tunnelling, and I see no reason in principle you
couldn't put bonding on top of that.  It is conceivable that ssh's
default compression might make up for the extra processing load, but
only experimentation would determine that.

https://angrysysadmins.tech/index.php/2019/12/grassyloki/ssh-tap-vpn-using-ssh-to-create-a-layer-2-vpn-between-two-machines/

The only warning is Kernighan's law: "Debugging is twice as hard as
writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as
cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."

    - Stephen