[TriLUG] B320i RAID controller driver

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 31 10:27:08 EDT 2020

Joe,

Interesting article, thank you for sharing.

I ended up configuring the four 300GB disks as two mirrors. I mounted
/home on one of  them and everything else on the other.  I figure that
600 GB is more than enough for my uses and a redundant disk will help
increase uptime, which is important.

After I disabled the built in 320i controller the system was able to see
all the disks natively using the AHCI driver.

Last Friday, I got a copy of Suse 15 installed on the system. Decided to
give Suse a try this time and we will see how it goes as some
distributions seem to be funny with Samba + Kerberos which is necessary
to connect it to the domain controllers for authentication.  I will
start hardening and configuring the system starting tomorrow.

What started me down this path was Python 2.7 going EOL which the
RH/Centos 7 is / was highly dependant upon. It made getting newer
packages almost impossible.

On a side note, the ending of Python 2.7 and going to 3.7 has been a
real pain the rear end in terms of updating my Gentoo system as
everything - as in all the packages -- need to be rebuilt against the
newer python and that requires the maintainers to update everything,
which is a daunting task and one that often times puts you in circular
dependency situations.

As one poster put it in the forum, "I am beginning to really hate python".