[TriLUG] OT Networking in New House

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 1 15:53:14 EDT 2020

I have CAT5 from my main network area for about 45 meters (I am
guessing) to my sunroom where I have a second wireless router. This also
gives me a 4-port wired router in that room. Never have a problem with
it and get expected speeds based on the devices I am using. My cxhurch
has CAT% in several runs of 80 or so meters and we get near Gb speeds
with that.

I would not bother recabling unless you test and find a specific problem
you can attribute directly to the CAT5 cable.

On 6/1/20 3:47 PM, Keith Woodie via TriLUG wrote:
> I have purchased a home built in 2000, which has a significant amount of
> standard CAT5 (not 5e) run to various rooms of the house.  Is it worth it
> for me to spend the effort to re-wire these for LAN?  I know the best I can
> get is 10/100 speeds, which I am doubting in today’s world is worth it.   I
> value the opinions here, so I am curious your thoughts.

David P. Both, RHCE
He/Him/His
www.both.org - My personal web site
www.Linux-Databook.info - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
The value of any software lies in its usefulness
not in its price.

— Linus Torvalds