[TriLUG] OT Networking in New House

Roger W. Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 1 16:17:10 EDT 2020

Keith,

IF you decide to re-wire, here's a trick I learned from an electrician:

  * Remove some insulation, about 2", from the end of the old cable and the
    end of the new cable.
  * Make a paper-clip-like U in the ends of each individual wire. Hook the
    ends together.
  * Wrap some electrical tape firmly around the joined Us to keep them from
    coming apart, just enough to cover to the cut insulation.
  * Wrap another layer over that, starting at one end and wrapping a spiral to
    the other end of the cut insulation, covering it too. The objective is to
    have a tapered and thin wrap.
  * Use the old wire to pull the new one.

Any job is an excuse to buy a tool. An electrician's "wire fish tape" is a
great tool. Mine was seldom used but invaluable for running a new circuit.

    Safe short url:: https://unix.la/5yc4h

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB at bronord.com