[TriLUG] OT Networking in New House

Keith Woodie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 1 18:03:30 EDT 2020

I have some NAS use and Plex streaming.  Specifically I want to use a wired
connection for a back haul on a wireless access point node at the far end
of the house.  Based on most of the discussion responses it sounds like I
will probably get good use out of the wiring and should proceed with
reworking the terminations.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 4:45 PM Matt Flyer via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-06-01 at 16:11 -0400, David Burton via TriLUG wrote:
> > Cat5e is rated for gigabit ethernet at 100 meters. Assuming that the
> > cable
> > runs in your house are a lot shorter than that, you can probably get
> > by
> > with plain Cat5, with no problems.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> To follow up on this, consider what you'll be doing versus your ISP
> speed.  Are you going to be transferring large amounts of data from one
> location in the home to another where you would be able to take
> advantage of the higher speed?
>
> I would bet that in most cases, the ISP is going to be a major
> bottleneck compared to the capability of cat5e inside the home.
> --
> This message was sent to: Keith Woodie <kwoodie at gmail.com>

Keith Woodie