[TriLUG] Extracting normal logs from journald

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 2 05:30:10 EDT 2020

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 17:03:09 -0400
Matt Flyer via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> To me, this is just another serious gripe I have with the systemd
> integration and example of how violating the Unix philosophy of
> keeping things textual and instead going binary has a real downside.

I use Void Linux. It inits with the runit init system, which is simpler
and better than systemd, and also better than sysvinit. Void has
packages for most software. It's a rolling release, but the daily
updates are rock solid: Almost never is there trouble, assuming you
update every day or so. Being a rolling release, the software is very
modern, but they do test it extensively before putting it in their
packages.

I used to say I'd never use a rolling release. I had some trouble with
*too and Arch. But Void almost never gives you trouble, and when it
does, #voidlinux at Freenode is there to help.

With Void, you can install the bare basics (not even X), and then once
it's installed on the computer, you can install the packages you want,
a-la-carte. None of this Ubuntu nonsense where it's almost impossible
to get rid of the desktop manager or that lame Plymouth.

I've been using Void Linux for five years now, and I'm pleased as punch.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist