[TriLUG] OT Networking in New House

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 5 16:01:54 EDT 2020

On Jun 1, 2020, at 15:53, David Both via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> I have CAT5 from my main network area for about 45 meters (I am guessing) to my sunroom where I have a second wireless router. This also gives me a 4-port wired router in that room. Never have a problem with it and get expected speeds based on the devices I am using. My cxhurch has CAT% in several runs of 80 or so meters and we get near Gb speeds with that.
>
> I would not bother recabling unless you test and find a specific problem you can attribute directly to the CAT5 cable.

I concur with David.  If you do run new cable, run Cat6, or Cat6A if you’ll have runs longer than 50m.  10GbE NICs and switches are coming down in price fast, gigabit+ cable and the cost difference isn’t much.

DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 4.0 both allow for 10GbE down.  Streaming 8K or 16K for multiple family members will eventually require better than GigE.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org