[TriLUG] just retired my two 25 year old routers

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 11 13:38:25 EDT 2020

Two Dell Optiplex XL 575, from 1995, 75MHz Pentium, with two extra ISA nics
each, and loaded to the gills with 128M memory (they came with 32M).

I've had 1 fan failure, and a couple of disks die (but not too many). The
problem keeping them going was finding small enough IDE disks forto boot off
(the BIOS wouldn't recognise the 40GB disks, which was the smallest IDE I could
get). So for the last 10 years I've been booting off floppies where the kernel
will ignore the BIOS and recognise the hard disk. Last kernel upgrade was 10
years ago. (Joe's helpful tip of the day: Never upgrade a working machine.)

They're plenty fast for DSL (which I'm using). However one day I'll probably go
to something faster. As well looking for IDE disks is a pain, and they're not
being made any more.

I bought 10 of the computers used, for $200 each and built a test beowulf with
them. After I was done with that, I made two of them into routers. The rest are
stacked neatly decorating my living room serving as a stand for my hole punch.

As you probably have figured, I upgraded big-time. I've got a pair of 2.xGHZ,
dual core 32 bit small form factor ThinkCentres, with 2GB memory, running
Slackware 14.2, with SATA drives and 3 PCI nics each. The new setup is open for
viewing on Sunday afternoons where you can gaze in wonder.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml