[TriLUG] just retired my two 25 year old routers

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 11 15:07:47 EDT 2020

I have 2 40G PATA drives if you want them. I wiped and tested them in
2017 so they have been sitting for a while. If you don't want them I
will take them to recycling center up on Durant.

On 6/11/20 1:38 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> Two Dell Optiplex XL 575, from 1995, 75MHz Pentium, with two extra ISA
> nics each, and loaded to the gills with 128M memory (they came with 32M).
>
> I've had 1 fan failure, and a couple of disks die (but not too many).
> The problem keeping them going was finding small enough IDE disks
> forto boot off (the BIOS wouldn't recognise the 40GB disks, which was
> the smallest IDE I could get). So for the last 10 years I've been
> booting off floppies where the kernel will ignore the BIOS and
> recognise the hard disk. Last kernel upgrade was 10 years ago. (Joe's
> helpful tip of the day: Never upgrade a working machine.)
>
> They're plenty fast for DSL (which I'm using). However one day I'll
> probably go to something faster. As well looking for IDE disks is a
> pain, and they're not being made any more.
>
> I bought 10 of the computers used, for $200 each and built a test
> beowulf with them. After I was done with that, I made two of them into
> routers. The rest are stacked neatly decorating my living room serving
> as a stand for my hole punch.
>
> As you probably have figured, I upgraded big-time. I've got a pair of
> 2.xGHZ, dual core 32 bit small form factor ThinkCentres, with 2GB
> memory, running Slackware 14.2, with SATA drives and 3 PCI nics each.
> The new setup is open for viewing on Sunday afternoons where you can
> gaze in wonder.
>
> Joe

David P. Both, RHCE
He/Him/His
www.both.org - My personal web site
www.Linux-Databook.info - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
The value of any software lies in its usefulness
not in its price.

— Linus Torvalds