[TriLUG] booting off usbstick

Stephen P. Schaefer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 11 01:58:43 EDT 2020

I may be doing something similar to what Joe is trying to do: I'm
running CentOS 8 from an (external) USB stick, with the four drive bays
devoted to providing NFS (stripe accros mirrors; (tested) spare drive in
a desk drawer.  What's different is that I planned the system this way:
I installed CentOS from a DVD with none of the disk drives installed,
just the USB, and CentOS had no choice but to install on the USB.  It
boots fine.  When I added the disk drives later, they were recognized,
and I could configure them as I intended.

As to performance, once the OS gets loaded from USB, just about the only
access to the USB is to write log files.  There's plenty of RAM to cache
the OS file system, and to cache writes while they're waiting to get
written.  In my setup, the rate of writes to the USB is far less than
its bandwidth, so I'm having no performance trouble there.

    - Stephen