[TriLUG] booting off usbstick

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 11 11:03:10 EDT 2020

I second that emotion. How good is the wear leveling in a USB stick? My
guess is they are designed to be used a bit but the expectation is close
to write-once. However a rotating disk with a USB interface is cheap as
dirt these days. If the motherboard is recent with USB3 performance
won't be an issue either. A policy for spinning it down once a day  may
be the way to go. My previous network storage server used this approach
and ran 24/7/365 for six years (is still a "hot spare" in case the new
server flakes out).

-Pete