[TriLUG] SOLVED Re: booting off usbstick

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jul 12 14:40:03 EDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020, Bill Farrow via TriLUG wrote:

> You should be able to make initrd copy the root filesystem into a RAM
> fs and mount that as the rootfs instead of the USB drive. Then
> periodically or manually sync the RAM fs with the USB drive so changes
> get preserved..

I see.

Sounds good, but I haven't a clue how to do it.

Is this what you mean?

http://reboot.pro/topic/14547-linux-load-your-root-partition-to-ram-and-boot-it/

or how about this (this one is more opaque to me)?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/admin-guide/initrd.html

after all the messing around I did to boot off a usb stick, it has just occurred
to me that I could have done it by PXE boot, although I've never done it and
haven't a clue how to do that either. I assume it's something like flashing a
WAP, but I'd have to figure out how to make the image file.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml