[TriLUG] X server now doesn't listen for X clients

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 15 12:35:32 EDT 2020

I haven't done a linux install for 10 years. Back then the X server would
happily serve X clients like xterm, xeyes or xclock out of the box.

However the current install refuses to do this. If I set

export DISPLAY=:0

X will run X clients, but if I do

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
or
export DISPLAY=my_ip:0

and run an X client (eg xhost +) I get

cannot open $DISPLAY

I can't run remote X clients either.

It turns out that the current install of X is not listening on port 6000.

You turn this on in startx

defaultserverargs="-listen tcp "

and now the X server is listening on port 6000 and the X server will accept
connections from X clients. It seems that now you have to turn X on after you
install it. Presumably having X working is a security hole.

I guess the next step is for the default configured ethernet devices not to
accept packets.

What did surprise me, was that the window manager brought up its xterms, but
when in the window, I tried to start another xterm, it failed. Presumably the
window manager has its own way of starting xclients. Anyone know how this works?

Thanks

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml