[TriLUG] LCD displays are 6 bit

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 15 13:35:18 EDT 2020

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/features.htm#dithering

I had assumed with LCD monitors offering 16777216 colours that they are all
8-bit.

It turns out that an LCD monitor only has 6-bit colour, giving 262144 colours.
They fake 8 bits with frame rate control.

How much this affects what you see I dont know. If you have an 8 bit stripe of
each colour, there should be no steps, as the eye can't quite differentiate 8
bits of intensity (at least for B&W). However the eye can easily differentiate 6
bits of intensity. Apparently this effect is called "banding"

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/features.htm#banding

(I'm setting up a new computer and am finding out all sorts of things I didn't
know.)

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml