[TriLUG] NetExtender VPN Client on Linux leaves resolv.conf clobbered

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 17 10:10:55 EDT 2020

Hi Gang,

I spent a fruitless hour with a support technician at SonicWall to get
to the conclusion of "it's not our problem" so here's the situation:

I'm using the Linux SonicWall NetExtender client (command-line version)
to connect to my workplace's VPN.  The tunnel works perfectly.  However,
the problem is when I close down the tunnel.

NetExtender rewrites /etc/resolv.conf on connection according to the
tunnel's settings.  The problem is it doesn't restore the original
content when it exits; resolv.conf still points to a nameserver that is
only accessible over the VPN, and my name resolution is broken until I
reset that file, either by hand or by renewing the DHCP lease for my
ethernet connection.

I would've expected it to be NetExtender's responsibility to reset that
file back to its previous state, but the SonicWall tech guy insists that
it's the OS's job.

Is he correct?  And if he is, how do I even troubleshoot why it's not
happening on my computer?

In the mean time, I've just written a script that copies the original to
a safe place and then copies it back after NetExtender exits, but I
shouldn't have to do that (and it requires privilege escalation)...

Many thanks,
-Brian