[TriLUG] ATT convert pop to imap

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 18 03:14:37 EDT 2020

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 06:35:25 -0400
Michael Rulison via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> [If this is a duplicate of content, I apologize, please delete other
> one.]
>
> I am caught in ATT support hell! No liveĀ  person for 15+ minutes, etc.
>

> I am working with a friend'c account with bellsouth.net email
> address. It names itself as POP.
>
> Apparently webmail at ATT/Yahoo/Currently cannot be converted to IMAP.
> The route is to create an IMAP and then copy POP stuff to the IMAP.
> Then, supposedly one can create a new IMAP in Thunderbird and
> download all of the webmail IMAP intoTbird and have synchronization
> between web, local, and smartphone.
>
> I am stuck at the webmail: how to create a new imap account?
>
> Or is there some other route?

This is a lot of work, but once you do it, you'll be glad for the rest
of your life.

I created a Dovecot IMAP server right on my Daily Driver Desktop (DDD).
I use fetchmail to grab from servers (like bellsouth's POP), run it
through procmail to ring-toss into mail folders on the Dovecot IMAP
server's maildir, and then, at any time, I can look at the emails on my
Dovecot with any fully IMAP-respecting email client I want. Claws-mail
is a good one because it's not a bloated pig like Thunderbird.

SteveT

--

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive