[TriLUG] NetExtender VPN Client on Linux leaves resolv.conf clobbered

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 18 08:59:28 EDT 2020

On 8/17/20 5:57 PM, Thomas Delrue wrote:
> On 8/17/20 10:10 AM, Brian via TriLUG wrote:
> If 'his' software changes it, it is his responsibility to change it back
> when done.

That's kind of what I was thinking.  This tech guy would not accept
that, insisting that the software was fine.  I sort of suspect that
their secret orders are when handling a call for a Linux client, put on
a good show and then insist it's the user's computer's fault.

>> In the mean time, I've just written a script that copies the original to
>> a safe place and then copies it back after NetExtender exits, but I
>> shouldn't have to do that (and it requires privilege escalation)...
>
> Based on the product behavior's description, so does activating and
> deactivating the VPN - as it requires the ability to change that file.

I'm assuming it must have some setuid behavior, as I don't have to sudo
the client (but I have to sudo the cp to copy the old resolv.conf back
in place).  The details are already hazy, but I expect I had to run some
installer as root.

Ah well.  Neither I nor the head of IT at the company think of SonicWall
as the first choice for a VPN solution, but this setup predates either
of us and change is often not worth the growing pains if it mostly
works.  I'm the only one in the company accessing the VPN from a linux
software client, so I don't expect much...

Thanks for the knowledge!

-Brian