[TriLUG] tab completion behavior changes with recent Ubuntu

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Sep 21 11:31:54 EDT 2020

ANNNND of course my solution only works specifically for $HOME.  I've no idea when it comes to any other substituted variable, and that would be quite an inconvenience.  Now I'm curious...

-B
<snip>
Addendum:

Sorry for the thoughtless accusatory tone; it's Monday and my coffee is still sinking in...

-B
<snip>
Pete,

Why are you using "$HOME" instead of the tilde character?  E.g.

	$ cp ~/Pictures/<tab><tab>
For me yields
	[directory listing]
	$ cp ~/Pictures/

I get the same behavior you describe below (the addition of the escape) if I type $HOME.  Tilde saves you four keystrokes and works in most[1] shells.

Cheers,
-Brian

[1] - where "most" is "four": sh, ksh, csh, and bash