[TriLUG] looking for bridge mode cable modem for Spectrum

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Oct 25 19:17:49 EDT 2020

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020, RogerB at bronord.com wrote:

> Try Google searching for
>
> spectrum cable modem bridge mode

well that's one step less noisy that what I tried

>> Searching for "cable modem, bridge mode"

The MT7711 is supposed to have bridge mode according to

https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007129847-How-Do-I-Put-My-Cable-Modem-Router-Combo-also-called-a-Gateway-into-Bridge-Mode-So-I-Can-Connect-Another-Router-behind-It-

but it's not mentioned in the 84 page manual under "bridge mode" or "eRouter
provisioning", which makes me a little wary.

It seems that the modem manufacturers go to great lengths to avoid saying
"bridge". As near as they get to it is to say "modem only" but not all the modem
only machines are bridged.

I had assumed that anyone going to cable, would also have their phone on the
cable, but a phone connection on a cable modem is not the default. I'm wondering
if I should connect the phone via an ATA (analog to something) adapter (it's
analog phone on one side and ethernet on the other). Anyone know about ATA
adapters?

This has been most of an afternoon looking. I haven't found a manual for a
machine with phone connections that say "bridge mode" yet.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml