[TriLUG] video processing and ML on Linux

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Nov 16 11:34:35 EST 2020

On Nov 15, 2020, at 14:28, John Franklin via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2020, at 00:30, Greg Brown via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>>
>> If anyone has thoughts on specifications I'm all ears.  Budget is not
>> unlimited by any stretch but as of right now I could safely drop $2500.00
>> or so on the machine itself and more if I had to (but that might take some
>> massaging).  I'd like to stick under $2500 if possible.  Cutting edge is
>> not required, as much as I'd like to have two threadrippers.
>

> Another serious option for consideration is waiting for the Ryzen 5000 series chips to be in-stock again, and building a dream machine with a Quadro or a Radeon Pro WX.

The more I look at reviews, benchmarks, and price out a new build for myself, the more I have to say wait for the Ryzen to be in-stock.  Dang.

For video production, definitely go with ECC memory.  Ryzen supports it [1], if the motherboard supports it.  Because you know it’ll be when you’re doing the final export close to the deadline that a 1-bit error will happen and there will be a corruption artifact for a dozen frames in the file.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ggmyyg/an_overview_of_ecc_memory_on_ryzen/

jf
--
John Franklin